The Air Force Brass Quintet

Monday, April 23, 2012

Jammin on the one!

Hi all,

Today in class we listened to some pretty hip music.  This week has been a bit of a struggle (and it's only MONDAY), so it was nice to have some fun and educational music to relax to.  Today we listened to the Soul Rebel Brass Band.  Right now as I'm blogging, I'm listening to them and the sound is so smooth, so rhythmic.  I just love it.  I appreciate Professor Manning introducing us to them.  This band is straight from New Orleans and is definitely drenched in that style.  Their music can also be heard on the hit show Treme on HBO.  The Soul Rebel Brass Band features Trombone Shorty who as we all know was here just a few months ago performing at the Englert.  As I'm listening I'm hearing some rapping going on and I had a thought in class that they were influenced by rappers, but the rappers of that area were in turn influenced by the music of New Orleans.  Take the rapper Mystikal for example.  His song, Bouncin' Back is straight out of New Orleans.  I mean, obviously he's from there, but listen to the background.  Almost the first thing you hear is a sax rif.  I mean, check it! It's hip hop, but he is definitely combining the elements of that NOLA jazz style in this sound.  Refer to the song "Bouncin' Back" if you want an explanation of the title.  In fact, here's the video just to give you an idea of what I mean.


This music is such a strong example of the NOLA jazz style being blended into rap.  It's kinda cool to hear and see.  I love it.  Anyway, I just wanted to bring the point that people are so innovative and New Orleans jazz music still lives and is pretty mainstream!

I've had a great time blogging!  Maybe I'll keep it up!

Best,
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment