The Air Force Brass Quintet

Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Blue (Grass) Navy Band.

Hello all!  Rachel did a pretty cool presentation on Wednesday.  I liked the whole concept of contemporary music.  I often wonder who is premiering these works and who is writing them.  I wonder if there is one brass ensemble out there dedicated to new music.  I also liked how the presentation ended with some funk/jazz music.  Although those groups aren't considered "traditional" I think their musicianship is great.  It's also fun to grove to.

For this week I'll be sharing a few things about the Navy Band.  The United States Navy Band is the premier musical organization of the the U.S. Navy.  It is comprised of six performing groups as well as many chamber ensembles.  The performing groups include:

Concert Band
Ceremonial Band
Sea Chanters
Commodores
Country Current
Cruisers
Chamber Ensembles

The Concert Band and the Ceremonial Band both play patriotic music like marches and wind ensemble literature.  But what is really interesting is the Country Current group.  It is a country/blue grass group.  They tour the country to recruit for the Navy by spreading music throughout the nation.  I had no idea that the Navy had this type of ensemble.  You learn something new everyday...

There are lots of interesting things about the Navy Band HERE.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment